The family of a man killed in a Chicago bus accident last month has filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the Chicago Transit Authority.
The suit claims that the 53-year-old bus passenger was exiting a No. 9 Ashland bus March 18 when it pulled away from the West Harrison street bus stop before he was safely on the curb, according to FOX News.
However, the Chicago Breaking News Center reports the victim was trying to catch the bus when he fell.
The man fell under the bus and was fatally run over by the rear tires, according to the suit filed in Cook County Circuit Court.
A CTA spokeswoman said the driver had been removed from service following the accident, which is standard procedure. She said preliminary indications are that the bus was proceeding toward a green light when the man fell and was struck.
The lawsuit claims the driver failed to check the mirrors before pulling away, failed to make sure the victim was safely on the curb and failed to stop the bus after the man fell. The man’s sister is named in the suit, which is seeking more than $50,000 from the CTA.
The victim is survived by four sisters and a brother, according to the suit.