In Chicago, Illinois personal injury lawyers were recently awarded a nice verdict in a premises liability wrongful death case, according to the Chicago Daily Law Bulletin. The fatality happened as a result of a fire in an apartment building owned by the defendants. The deceased, a tenant in the building, died of carbon monoxide poisoning.
The Cook County lawsuit alleged that the defendant failed to have smoke detectors in common areas of the building. The defense argued that the decedent was under the influence of cocaine and alcohol at the time of the fire.
Prior to trial the Estate demanded $910,000 to settle the case, and the defendants made no offer. The jury awared $1,353,249 (10% off 1,503,610 for comparative fault). The trial was in front of the Honorable Susan Ruscitti Grussel, Cook County Case No. 03 L 11032.
The plaintiff was represented by Kirk A. Moyer of Chicago. The defendants were represented by Alton Haynes and Brian O'Neill, and John F. Brennan.